Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Small steps towards self reliance .....

Thought it was time I explained the idea behind the heading on my side bar "Steps towards self reliance". You can get immersed in everyday life on the farm, raising crops, livestock etc, which isn't a bad thing. Add to mix homeschooling and soon the majority of, if not all of your day seems to whizz by. One day leads to another, a week has gone, then a month and so on........
Our aim is to actively set aside a bit of time to learn. Yeap, its as simple as that! To learn skills that help to take us a step, be it ever so humble, towards self reliance. This may not happen on a monthly basis but by putting it on my side bar will serve to be a reminder of what we have achieved along this path and help keep us motivated.
As a belated Christmas present to each other (Are we the only couple that do this I wonder?) We decided to take the plunge and invest in a milk separtor and butter churn. Presently the goats are supply our daily milk supply and "Molly" our jersey heifer is now in calf, it is from her milk that I am aiming to make cream and butter from.
I can still remember as a little girl, my mum separating the milk and having to take a turn at turning the handle while mum had a little rest. This was done on the verhanda. After separating our first lot of milk it soon became apparent that it can be a bit messy, as the milk sometimes splatters. I now know why mum did it out on the verhanda!

3 comments:

chook said...

oh Bec
i wish I still had Polly .SO is a verandah on the list of things to get done in the future??
I will do a post again as soon as I have something to say Hugs Beth

Bec - Farmers Wife said...

Thanks Beth, but alas no the verhanda is not even on the list yet! We are leaning more and more towards and outdoor kitchen area though.

farmer_liz said...

I like this post! No you're not the only one who gets these sort of presents for Christmas! I got a food dehydrator and my husband got a generator :) We haven't found a need for a cream separator so far, as I seem to be ok just skimming it off the top, but if we had more milk I'm sure it would be useful. Your future dairy cow is gorgeous, I look forward to reading more about her in future.